Frequently Asked Questions



Monroe Housing Commission is not a Section 8 provider.

1. Where can I apply for low income public housing?

You must apply in person at the Monroe Housing Commission management office, which is located at 20 North Roessler, Monroe, Michigan 48162. This office is inside the River Park Plaza housing facility on the first floor. Hours are 8:30-11:30 a.m. and 1-3:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 8:30 – 11:30 Fridays, except federal holidays.

2. How do I qualify for admission to low-income public housing?

You must first complete an application and turn it into the Monroe Housing Commission management office. That application is then processed. If the application is accepted, it is placed on a wait list, from which the Commission selects residents based on need. Social Security cards and birth certificates are required of each person on the application, as well as current photo IDs from each adult (18 years and older). As of 6/28/12, income verification from each adult member is also required. Each household member must have U.S. citizenship or eligible immigration status. Each adult must pass a criminal and credit background check. The income and assets for each household member must be verified, and the household income must be within the income limits set by HUD.

3. How long will I need to wait before I am approved for housing?

The Monroe Housing Commission cannot determine the length of time a person or family will be on the waiting list before an offer of housing is made. After an application for housing reaches the top of the waiting list, the individual or family is invited to meet with the Executive Director to determine if admission qualifications are met. If those qualifications are met, and housing suitable to the person or family’s needs is available, an offer will be made for housing with the Monroe Housing Commission. Applicants who accept housing offers must sign a lease and pay rent and a security deposit. If the applicant refuses two offers of housing, the application will be withdrawn from the waiting list, and the applicant would need to re-apply.

4. How do I find the status of my application, and where do I update my address, household income or household size?

You must contact the Monroe Housing Commission management office to report any status changes or request updates to your application. By updating your address, you ensure any letters concerning your application are promptly received. Updating your household size may affect the type and bedroom size of housing for which your family may be eligible. It is generally recommended you contact the management office every six months.

Scroll to Top



1. Who should I contact regarding my rent or items in need of repair in my home?

You should contact the management office during regular business hours.

2. Who do I contact if I have an emergency maintenance issue at night or on the weekends?

Residents of River Park Plaza call the property’s caretaker, whose number is posted in the facility’s lobby. Residents of Greenwood Townhouses call the Monroe Housing Commission’s main number, 242-5880, and an answering service will contact the on-call maintenance provider. Emergency maintenance staff will respond to repair requests that are called in after the management office has closed on weekdays (4:00 P.M. to 8:00 A.M.) or all day on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays.

Examples of emergency repairs include: Gas leaks, toilet stoppages that cause serious floods, passengers stuck in elevators, electrical power failures, sewer back-ups, apartment door and door knobs not working, and heat and hot water issues.

3. How is my rent determined?

Rent is based on 30 percent of a resident’s annual adjusted gross income. Please contact the Business Office for more information.

4. What should I do if I suspect drugs are being sold in my building?

You can report suspicious activity to the Business Office during business hours or anonymously by calling after hours and leaving a message on the voicemail. The Business Office will keep the information confidential. Alternatively, you can make a report directly to the police department. You may also call 911 if you feel there is a serious or immediate threat.

Scroll to Top